Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gingham for Summer - the Selection at Vogue Fabtics, Evanston, Ill.

Gingham Fabric, Quilting Dept., Vogue Fabrics, Evanston, Ill.
More Gingham Fabric, Quilt Dept., Vogue Fabrics, Evanston, Ill.
Red and White Gingham Oilcloth, Home Decor, Vogue Fabrics, Evanston, Ill.
Navy Gingham Oilcloth, Home Decor, Vogue Fabrics, Evanston, Ill.
Gingham Spaghetti Straps and Bias Tape, Notions Dept., Vogue Fabrics, Evanston, Ill.
There is something about summer that just hollers 'Gingham!' Right now for me, this conjures up an image of Betty Draper of "Mad Men" in a 1950s red and white gingham shirtwaist dress with a petticoat. Naturally she wears white gloves embellished with tiny gingham bows which also happen to match the shoe clips on her stillettos. Now if she were modeling as she has done on the show, she would be posed next to a matching gingham oilcloth covered picnic table...serving slices of watermelon and cans of Coke. With red and white straws, of course!
Back in the world of reality I'm sort of caught up in the idea of making this retro 1947 Vogue 8728 in a stretch red gingham, so it clings in all the right places. Alas, I can't find exactly what I want although I once saw a bright red-and-white gingham print jersey in the remnant section at Vogue Fabrics so I know it's out there, it's just not in my hands. If I can't have it in stretch, I just might do it in a woven, which means I should naturally finish up other unfinished projects before I start a dress. But I do have a belt already, yes, I picked up a 1950s/1960s red gingham belt at the Antique and Resale Shoppe, which I felt was a sign that I should definitely make something in a check print this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment